
We went to Strangers Hall in Norwich - somewhere that has always held a strange fascination for me.
It is a dark, creaking place.
I used to be particularly interested in/scared of the slightly grotesque platters of replica food laid out in the kitchen....a pig roasting on the spit, huge crusty pies, haunches of bacon, an assortment of roasted fowl and a pike eating it's own tail.
Not much has changed since the 70's, thank goodness. I was delighted to see the same old food still there, 30 years older and more desiccated, which just adds to it's appeal.
In the entrance hall, a be-costumed minstrel asked me "Playest thou the Lute, mistress?"
To which I replied "What'st?"
In the undercroft, the children had a go at re-creating "Victorian Tom Smith's famous Norwich Christmas Cracker".
Here they are with the fruits of their labours.
No comments:
Post a Comment