This is a very proud Mother with her very handsome son..............................................................................................................................
Will sat hunched before us, immaculately suited, nervous, alone.
Friends and family glanced about, adjusting button-holes, priming cameras, switching off phones.
3pm passed. Eyes flicked to the clock. Was there a problem? Had she changed her mind?
Then the door opened.
Mr Sato paused at the threshold, allowing everyone to take in the extraordinary beauty of the young woman on his arm, his daughter Hikaru.
He led her to Will, who looked as if he would melt in the presence of such loveliness.
It was at this point that my tears began rolling, thick and fast.
The rest of the ceremony was a bit blurry.
Hikaru too had to take a tear break while tissues were found and handed around.
Mum managed to control her weeping long enough to read her favourite Edward Thomas poem...
So many things I would give you
Had I infinite great store
Offered me and I stood before
To choose. I would give you youth,
All kinds of loveliness and truth,
A clear eye as good as mine,
Lands, waters, flowers, wine,
As many children as your heart
Might wish for, a far better art
Than mine can be, all you have lost
Upon the travelling waters tossed,
Or given to me. If I could choose
Freely in that great treasure-house
Anything from any shelf,
I would give you back yourself,
And power to discriminate
What you want and want it not too late,
Many fair days free from care
And heart to enjoy both foul and fair,
And myself, too, if I could find
Where it lay hidden and it proved kind.
......................................................................
Someone commented afterwards...."There was so much love in the room."
Best Man, Rachel, took these stunning photographs on the gleaming marble staircase; mixed groupings of Satos, Robertsons, Pratts and Wrights. The first forgings of a new family.Relation unification.
When the serious stuff was done, it was off to the party to drink cocktails, eat delicious food and to dance the night away.
The girls had the time of their lives - they looked utterly adorable and behaved beautifully.
I was a very proud mum too.


No comments:
Post a Comment